Google Productivity Pad: What my iOS devices are to me

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What my iOS devices are to me

Recently I had a couple of experiences that caused me to start thinking about this.

First, I attended BYU's Cougar Tech Expo. At the expo I attended a session where it was talked about unexpected things your iPad could be for you. These included a television, a cell phone, a GPS, and a Remote Desktop.

Second I had an small argument with one of my buddies about the merits of the iPhone verses an Android. I explained to my friend that Android owners generally use their phones as phones(which he does), while iPhone users use them for much more than that(which I do). This phenomenon is due in large measure to the superiority of the App Store to the Google Play store. However when pressed I had a hard time articulating on the spot exactly what I use it for.



These experiences got me thinking about everything our iPhones, iPads, or iPod touches can be to us. Mine are such an intergral part of my life at this point that its hard for me to even think in the moment what I them for. So I sat down an made a list of what mine do for me or items they replace. Here it is:
  • Laptop
  • Planner
  • Social Media manager
  • Instant messenger
  • Alarm clock
  • Email
  • Flashlight
  • Radio
  • Notebooks
  • Todo list
  • Calculator
  • Tickets
  • Weather advisor
  • Navigator
  • Camera
  • Photo editor
  • Level
  • Number pad
  • Score keeper
  • Contacts book
  • QR code scanner
  • Book to read
  • Education assistant
  • Video game system
  • Flash cards
  • Goal tracker
  • Personal trainer
  • Budget tracker
  • Car maintenance calendar
  • Idea catcher 
  • Coloring book
  • Scriptures
  • Hymnal
  • Dictionary
  • Web browser
  • Sketch pad 
  • Magazine
  • Newspaper
  • Brainstorming
  • Whiteboard
  • Word processor
  • Sheet music
  • Video viewer
  • MP3 player
So there is a list of some, I'm sure there are others. You will notice that I did not say phone, because I have a separate feature phone that I use for calling and text messaging, because I refuse to pay carrier smartphone fees. So the main feature that Androids are used for, I don't even use.
Now of course you could say that most if not all of these things are available on the Android side, which is true. I did not say they weren't, I just said they are hardly ever used. Having never had the displeasure of owning such a device, I can only assume that is because they are not very good.
What do you do with your iOS device? What other items does it replace?
I would love for you to share us by commenting below.


If you found this post helpful or interesting you can  it, or use one of the buttons below to share.
Thanks for reading, and remember, live better.

No comments:

Post a Comment